Skip to main content

Staying Active During Pregnancy

Outfit details : Fringe jacket, Madewell white tee, maternity jeans, Chanel espadrilles, sunnies 

I am trying to stay active during my pregnancy – not because I am worried about the weight ( not at all! ) but not having any physical activity in my day makes me feel more lethargic and tired sooner than I am starting to get otherwise by the end of the day.

A few of you mammas-to-be asked me  about the routines I was following after I shared a few glimpses from the gym or from the YouTube videos I was doing. The first and foremost thing is to consult the doctor on the kind/intensity of exercise you can do. The number one rule is to listen to your body – slow down, take breaks, drink plenty of water – all the basics but so important! And yes, always start with a good stretch routine. I stopped doing Soul Cycle and my Zumba sessions in the first trimester itself. But have been doing the following to stay active.

Scroll down to read …

Outfit details : Fringe jacket, Madewell white tee, maternity jeans, Chanel espadrilles, sunnies

1. Running :  I love running but have definitely slowed down a lot ( more like waddling lately!). I try to get a short run atleast once a week!

2. Biking : Amit and I both love to bike. The weather hasn’t been conducive lately with all the rain and cold weather lingering, but on the few days it was nice – we did some light biking. I am looking forward to the warm weather and bike on the easy trails. Keeping an eye on balance is key – so we’ll play it by the ear.

3. Elliptical : I try to go to the gym twice a week and do 20-30 minutes of cardio. Elliptical mostly. Similar to running outside, I have lowered the slope, speed and intensity with which I go.

4.  YouTube Videos : The best thing after sliced bread if you ask me. Workout in the comfort of your home, go at your own pace and a no judgement zone. I love the prenatal routines on Glow Body PT  – most of them are 10-15 minutes and can be easily tacked on with a quick cardio ( running/elliptical) or are even good just by themselves if that’s all the time I am able to dedicate on a given day.

5.  Kegel exercises :  These are technically not a workout and definitely not glamorous to write about. But as recommended by a lot of my friends, these pelvis stabilizing exercises are effective. Pretend to “hold the pee” for a few seconds and release – now that’s easy to do while watching TV – haha. sorry TMI !

6.  Prenatal Yoga :  I haven’t tried prenatal yoga yet but with experiencing sciatica lately, everyone seems to be suggesting prenatal yoga. I will be trying out a few classes at a gym nearby and also look for some YouTube videos. I’ll let you guys know if I find any good videos.

Let me know if you have any favorite prenatal workout routines or yoga channels – xo Neha

 

LoveNehaGandhiSignature

 Are we friends yet? Sign up for the newsletter here 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Big Secret and a Very Personal Story

There has been a big secret that I have been keeping from all of you and bursting at the seams to share !!

Family Vacation Snapshots + a Giftcard Giveaway

Shop the Post  JavaScript is currently disabled in this browser. Reactivate it to view this content.

Secrets to a Beauty Sleep + a Mattress Giveaway

When it comes to healthy living, a good night’s sleep is simply a must. They don’t call it beauty sleep for nothing.