Skip to main content

TRANSFORMING AN UNUSED SPACE INTO A CHIC HOME-OFFICE

Can you believe that this is a section of an awkwardly positioned room in our basement? Nope, right? I couldn’t have either =))

Let’s back up for a second. I had a room, an actual room that used to be my home office / workspace/ a room where I would put my head down and get some work done because if I sit on the couch and work, I end up getting distracted by house chores and TV and everything else that is not work. But that room has been surrendered to Zoe and her toys and I like it that way, because I can actually close a door and leave the mess unseen versus having everything strewn in our living room. Having said that, I still wanted to have a dedicated space to work. On days that I work from home and if Zoe is home too from school, then it helps having a secluded space to take meetings and focus.

There was an obvious challenge here to utilize the space and make it functional. There is no natural light coming in. As I type this, I realize that these are definitely first world problems – huh! =)) But, anyway – now that my time has been invested in figuring out a solution for challenge to make something good out of the unused space – here are the three main tricks that I leaned towards :

  1. choosing white pieces to make the room white and spacious
  2. adding some green using plants to liven up the space
  3. keeping the whole decor minimal and simple

The rug and the faux-marble are actually what tie the space really together. The rug is from Raymour and Flanigan and it has a tiled look which definitely elevates the room. We loved doing the wall makeover using peel and stick wall-paper.

A sleek corner bookcase is piece that could easily be added in any room. I have a lot of books and each room in our house has a bookcase. This one doesn’t use a lot of space and is fun to play with different accents.

I picked the vintage flair chairs to bring in some color and I love the green tone since I plan to keep a few faux plants in here. Aside from the fact there is no natural light in here, I cant seem to keep any plants alive anyway, so faux plants are my real friends.

 

The writing desk is such a statement piece. It has a contemporary design, with movable sections that can be arranged in different ways if you are feeling creative and the glossy white finish is exactly what I was talking about. The white glove delivery and setup service always helps because of the flexible delivery schedule and you having to do literally no setup. The delivery guys were so nice to help me try arranging the table in different ways ( I was originally thinking of keeping the table against the wall ) and playing with the sections.

The frame I used on the wall is old but Raymour & Flanigan has a nice collection of wall decor. The overhead lamp is the one we had in our master bedroom ( see the master bedroom tour here ) but wasn’t getting used a lot and what better place to put it to use where I could use more light and some overhead drama!

I am very happy with how the finished space looks. It was such a bare, basement-y section that was getting piled up with boxes and clutter, so it makes me really happy to transform it into something so fun and functional.

Here are all the pieces I’ve used and I have also linked details of my outfit below.

My outfit :

Camari Area Rug
Shiori Writing Desk
Vintage Flair Chair
Corner bookcase

 

A huge thank you to Raymour & Flanigan for partnering on this post. It is a brand that I truly love and have shopped with over the years. 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Big Secret and a Very Personal Story

There has been a big secret that I have been keeping from all of you and bursting at the seams to share !!

Family Vacation Snapshots + a Giftcard Giveaway

Shop the Post  JavaScript is currently disabled in this browser. Reactivate it to view this content.

Reinvent Giving with HP Spectre X360